Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Weeks Too Late: Top and Bottom Movies

The Best and Worst of the Last Two Years. Written & Directed by Me.

As you may have seen yesterday, Doomwench and I have decided to take the blog into a more audible, less paragraph-y and most importantly: less weekly format. That's right, we'll be putting our brands into cattle of podcasting (though I suppose also into the fire of podcasting).

In the meantime, we thought we'd write up a quick summary of the best and worst things we'd seen and read over this nearly two year endeavor. This turned out to be more difficult than we thought. We had decided on 3 good, 3 bad and a few honourable (and dishonourable) mentions. Ahem...so instead I bring you my top and bottom 10 movies, these are in no particular order, because it was hard enough choosing without having to rank.

The Good, of all the things I've seen over the last few years, these were the most...palatable:

Bluebeard: My introduction to the incredible Catherine Breillat, whose cult I now lead.
Sita Sings the Blues: A gorgeous independent film made in one woman's basement.
X-Men First Class: The movie that shocked me the most by how good it was, despite all my apprehensions.
Ink: Another low budget movie that managed to rock my socks.
Captain America: What's this, a movie about one of the most tedious Marvel characters demanding I love it?
Red: A flick about retired spies that managed to be the best action movie I've seen in ages. Plus, lets all purr at Karl Urban.
Rashomon: Believe every bit of the hype.
Frankenstein: Once again, Branagh's ego is pushed aside enough to make a fantastic film. Well. Almost.
Moon: Where I learned who Sam Rockwell is and a great deal about his backside.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: Terry Gilliam can still make a killer flick, when did I say he couldn't?

The Bad, while I had my palate widened to enjoy tons of new and odd movies, not every experiment is going to give favourable results. When they were bad, they were very, very bad:

Splice: Sexist, simplistic AND a third word that begins with "s"? I'm in. Unfortunately.
Bram Stoker's Dracula: This is based on one of the most boring classic books I've ever been force fed. What could possibly be wrong with the movie?
Priest: Doomwench is still doing penance for making us see this one.
Offspring: I make a lot of jokes about my love-hate relationship with horror...but this one really hurt.
Inception: Why Chris Nolan? I thought we were friends!
The Wolfman: Why can't I just enjoy a movie about Benicio del Werewolf?
The Men who Stare at Goats: All-star claptrap.
Clash of the Titans: An abysmal movie that made for one of my favourite reviews.
House of the Devil: Oh! My heart! The wasted potential.
Daybreakers: C'mon vampire movies, cowboy up. Wait. No. Then we had Priest. Do SOMETHING anyways.

Oh and strictly to mess with Doomwench, my honourable mention:
Interview With the Vampire: Which was great, I don't care what she says.

So there are the top and bottom 10 percent of the class (give or take). If you haven't been following this blog until now, they might not be a bad place to start browsing!

Next time I see you I'll be in your ears!

And as a last aside: while my the Ten poster is an excellent gag cover, it's a movie I didn't get around to reviewing that is a fine comedy.

1 comment: