Saturday, June 12, 2010

Girl on Book Action: Reader's Choice Poll #4

Candidates for Reader’s Choice Poll #4

I know, it’s been a while. I’ve been busy. I’m actually not sure about the timing on these. Am I polling too often? Not often enough? Should I be doing it like clockwork, say, every 2 months? Every 3? What do you think?

As always, the poll will be open for 1 week and I’ll be reading the winner as soon as I finish whatever book I happen to be reading at the time. Anyway, on to the choices for this month’s poll.

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink


Once again I’m beginning with the fic-lit pick. This book was recommended to me by a fellow Grad Student a while ago and I saw it at the used bookstore and decided to give it a try. The story sounds intriguing, although I’m not sure how the title of The Reader relates to a story about a love-affair and a criminal trial. I suppose I’ll find out when I read it.

His Majesty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik

A very dear friend was reading these books last year and would tell me about how much she was enjoying them and a little bit about the story and I was interested at the time, but then life happened and I was very much distracted. It’s an alternate history of the Napoleonic war that includes dragons (DRAGONS!!!) and the first part in a series. Nearly a year later and I’ve finally picked up a copy and decided to include it as the fantasy pick for this poll.

Silk by Caitlin R. Kiernan

The re-read pick, which turns out to have been the most difficult to select. I’m trying to strike a balance between offering lit-fic and fantasy-ish books on these polls, and since last time I had two lit-fic options and only one fantasy I decided to do the opposite this time. The problem with most of the books that fall into this category and that I’ve read is that they are not stand-alone novels and if I start a series I’ll want to finish it. So, even though I only recently reviewed Kiernan’s The Red Tree, I decided to put up Silk. Make of that what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment